Friday, February 12, 2021

Abstract Seascape with a gel press and stencil

It's Friday.  Let's daydream a little. 

During these unprecedented, often difficult, times, art takes me away from the worries of the day. While I'm immersed in colors, shapes, and textures, my doubts just recede into the back bits of brain.  

Lydia Fiedler (aka Understand Blue) is a great artist AND a great teacher.  Some of us get together most weekday evening for her Facebook Live "classes" and we chat with her and each other--and it is a saving grace, for me, of the pandemic.  At the Beyond the Blue challenge blog we try out Lydia's techniques, share them, and encourage you to join us with your own creations.

So, our Beyond the Blue Challenge this week is to make a "folded" gel press landscape--and Lydia's short video explains it best.  Do watch it -- and all of us on the BTB Design Team would LOVE you to give it a try.  Please post it on our blog and let us see what you make!

Here's mine: 


I added a favorite swirly Hero Arts stencil to the bottom of my print, and used two yellows and a blue and a blue-green acrylic (Golden Open is the brand I've like best for gel press) for this abstract print.  

Here's what I see:   (and you can see what you want!). This is my imaginary view from aboard a large ship as I lean out over the water, and peer into the hazy, hot horizon, where I see a foreign port coming into view.  I see minarets, or tall masts of sailing ships.  If I close my eyes, I hear the ocean.

I've put this 8X8 framed gel print in our family room--where I can look at it and dream of new adventures.  

I hope you'll try this technique and post your creation on our challenge blog!  It's much easier than it looks--and so much fun!

Thanks for stopping by,

Essie





4 comments:

  1. This is so gorgeous! I would have framed it too. Those colors! I was totally wowed when I first watched Lydia's video. I really want to try this technique. Thanks for sharing about the challenge blog. I had no idea. I hope to participate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you like it! It's easier than it looks. And our little challenge blog would love to have you try out this technique (or any other one...we're a very welcoming bunch!)

      Delete
  2. This is dreamy and magical. I, too, can see the port coming into view!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! I was so surprised at the result--that's probably what I like best about using my gel press--the surprise that comes with every pull!

    ReplyDelete

Spring Flowers with Hero Arts Digitals