Sunday, January 24, 2021

Use Those Gel Press Prints!


 

I struggle a bit with backgrounds (I may have mentioned this previously) but with gel press prints, I have a ready supply of interesting colors, patterns and even depth and shine to use as card backgrounds.  Today, instead of focusing on one of those backgrounds, I've used my gel press prints for die cuts the clean and simple 5X7 inch card you see above.  

Method and Chat:  Using a gel press is easy and relatively inexpensive. The only real equipment you need is a gel press, a brayer, copy paper (yes, the stuff you use in your computer), and some pigment. For the card above, I used Golden Open acrylic paints, but  I've also used dye inks, pigment inks, distress inks, alcohol inks, and watercolor (so there's almost certainly something in your stash that works).  Understand Blue has great gel press videos on You Tube - if you're interested in good tips and techniques and videos, I've linked you to her playlist. 



I've made some pretty successful prints (meaning: just what I wanted!).  Here are three I like:





 I've also had some failures (meaning:  not what I was aiming for....cue sad horn music, mwah, mwaaaah, mwaaaaaaah).

And that's where today's card originates--with this gel press failure:

This print was just NOT pleasing to me--the cake impression is blurry, and the gifts didn't work out at all, but I did like the colors.  I decided to salvage the print because of those happy, saturated colors--they look like a party to me.  

First, I pasted the copy paper print onto a thin piece of card stock (65#, the inexpensive kind) to give me enough body to be able to die cut the page.  Next, I grabbed the (Hero Arts) cake die I used to make the impression you see above and die cut the cake from a colorful part of that same failed print.  

I grabbed a (My Favorite Things) sentiment die, and cut it out twice from a second (similar) failed print, which I'd also (first) pasted to lightweight card stock.  Tip:  The glue needs to be FULLY dry before you die cut...ask me how I know!




Next:  I aligned and die cut the sentiment out of white cardstock, and carefully pieced in (inlaid) the gel press letters.  I put the cake on a wobbler and placed it to the right of the sentiment.  Done.  I get wobblers from Art Impressions. I think they not only elevate the piece cake to give the card some texture/interest, but I really like the whimsy of that cake kind of wobbling about.  


And that's it--I'd love to hear what you think of the card and whether you've entered the gel press craze!  

Thanks so much for stopping by, 
Essie
 












2 comments:

  1. Such a wonderful narrative. Love the card. Need to give my gel press some love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Barb! So glad you like the card...are you going to join Lydia's gel press retreat?

    ReplyDelete

Spring Flowers with Hero Arts Digitals